Tuesday, December 12, 2006

hebrews 11:3

1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
2 For by it the elders obtained a good testimony.
3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

I've been thinking about Hebrews 11 a lot lately. Our home church started it last week. I've been really thinking about verse three. I'm going to try to talk this out the best I can as clearly as I can because I understand exactly what I'm thinking but it's hard to put it to words. We started studying evolution in Biology the same week we stared Hebrews 11. (take note of that). Verse 3 says that by faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God. Now- if I asked anyone of you if you believed that God made the earth you would immediately say yes without second guessing. There is no doubt in your mind that God created the earth. The theory of evolution isn't even an option but rather quite silly. Well how do you "know" or understand that God created it? In verse 3 it says by faith. So that sureness, that unquestionable belief, that "knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt" that God created the earth, that is faith.
Now, when things are going wrong or (money is a good example) if there's not enough money for the bills, we freak out and then say we have faith. The more I looked at it the more I asked myself "When I say I have faith, God will take care of it, is it that same kind of faith and sureness I have when I say He created the world?" and I began to realize- I don't, it isn't the same. It's more like a hope or wish. I "hope" God will take care of it. I say I believe He will but yet am still unsettled inside. If faith is what is described in verse 3 then what do we really have? Is it really faith? Or do we just cover our worry and doubt and unbelief (which is sin) with a bunch of words that sound good but don't really do anything? We should be able to look at our school, jobs, households, finances, and have the same faith that God has it under control as we have that He made the world by the word.
That was just something neat I had seen. I want feed back too. I tried to explain it the best I could.

4 comments:

Boogerface said...

I think you explained it very well. Our faith should be faith no matter the situation. It shouldn't depend on the gravity of a situation. Whether it's a healing or a bill getting paid or a relationship being reconciled, it should be the same faith. Even to just believe the word God shows you.

Rebekah Hope said...

I didn't read this until just now.. at 2:18 AM.. Only you know how much I needed to hear that. You used the perfect "example" ya know.. God must've known when you wrote this how much I would need to hear it.

Somehow I always think that when I ask for things having to do with finances or jobs or whatever that He doesn't really care as much. Like He'd sooner answer a prayer for healing or something. It's like having faith for one thing and not another.. and it makes me wonder.. is inconsistent faith worth anything at all?

Boogerface said...

where is your friday fifteen?

Lauren said...

I'm sorry...I really tried to do it Friday but didn't have any time.